In case I didn’t scare you off with my first post and you’ve returned for even more unexpected joy, I must confess that, while things improved over yesterday, there was lots of residual (and some new) funk in the air today. So, in an effort to shake that funk up, my husband and decided to have a much-needed at-home date night. After the week we’ve had it was most welcome.
Here’s our recipe for an easy do-it-yourself date night at home in eight easy steps:
- Go to the nearest Trader Joe’s.
- Head to the freezer section.
- Select and purchase lots of food that looks good to you that your children aren’t interested in eating (i.e. spelt risotto, crispy coconut shrimp, French country potatoes, stuffed mushrooms).
- Make fun dinner for children (pizza, pancakes, leftovers – aka “Basque Night”) to eat a bit earlier than usual.
- Put children down for bed a bit early (change the clocks if you must).
- Begin cooking together (unless one of you is horrible at it; then just pretend to work together, but be nice).
- Make the table look nice (remove crayon marks, perhaps use a clean placemat, remove crusty cheerios from chairs).
- Sit down, breathe, enjoy.
Good company, delicious food, excellent conversation, no huge restaurant bill, you don’t have to pay a babysitter, and you don’t have to get out of your sweats if you don’t want to = success. Praising God for the unexpected joy of quality time today with the man I love.
Until tomorrow, God bless y’all.