I owe a lot to Jennifer Fulwiler. She and Hallie Lord concocted The Edel Gathering several years back, and because of their “yes,” this weary, overwhelmed Mama of five (with undiagnosed PPD) had the time and space to let her hair down and dust off her latent charisms of “dancing on chairs” and “rapping the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song.”
At Edel, I laughed until I cried, cried until I laughed, and met a gaggle of amazing kindred spirits, several of whom are part of my tribe to this very day. I remembered that I like to dance, sing, laugh, and that it is OKAY TO HAVE FUN, dang it! For some reason, I’d forgotten all about who I was and what *I* liked doing beneath the never-ending avalanche of laundry and demanding chaos of large family life.
It was Jen who encouraged me to keep writing and to resurrect my blog. And, while keynoting at our Portland women’s conference the next year, Jen recorded a clandestine clip of me doing my MC thang. She emailed it to her booking agent, saying: “You need to get this person on the Catholic speaking circuit TODAY.” It sounds sort of audacious, but that’s the kind of person Jen is—she dreams big, and inspires others to do the same.
Which leads me to the reason for this post. I’m so grateful to Jen, whose amazing second book, ONE BEAUTIFUL DREAM, launches TODAY! I hope you pick up a copy for yourself and your friends and allow Jen Fulwiler’s special brand of encouragement to uplift and inspire you to follow your dreams just like she did for me.
But, better yet, wouldn’t it be awesome to WIN a copy? Just in time for Mother’s Day, I have one for YOU or someone you love! Woooooo hoooooo! 🎉🎉🎉
Simply head on over to my giveaway post on Instagram and tag as many friends as you’d like in my feed. You MUST be following me and Jen on Instagram to qualify–I’m gonna check and double-check! The contest ends on Friday, May the 4th (be with you), and I’ll pick and announce a winner on Sunday, May 6th just in time for my birthday. Man, I love giving good stuff away!!
Oh, and … If I look tired in this picture, it’s because I am. LOL 😆 Motherhood and chasing my blue flame isn’t easy. There are only 31 days until my first book is due to the publisher. THIRTY-ONE. And I’m really feeling the squeeze. There are super early mornings and late nights and lots and lots of prayer and coffee. But I’m happy. Blessed. Clinging to Jesus. That’s the way any of this works–bottom line–I cling to him. Personally, my one beautiful dream is to do all the things I want to do while still getting enough sleep. So.
Okay! That’s it for now–don’t forget to enter the giveaway. Open to U.S. residents over the age of 13 only.
PS: Congratulations again, and lots of love, Jen! Can’t wait ’til the next party! 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻
It’s most definitely almost summer in Oregon, and Mother Nature is just plain showing off. It’s days like these that just make me praise the Lord!! Perhaps it’s my Franciscan background. Annnnyway – here’s some stuff I want to share with you this week. Yes, indeed-y.
1. Hey! They haven’t kicked us off the air yet! LISTEN to yet another new episode of The Visitation Project THIS SUNDAY on the all-new Mater Dei Radio at 7:30 p.m. PST. I still can’t even believe I have a weekly radio show. But it’s true. If you missed any episodes from previous Sundays, please catch up with the #TVPCrew via podcast here! Also … are you following #TVPRadio on Twitter? Instagram? You should be. Please do. We miss you when you aren’t around. 🙂
2. There’s still time to register for the upcoming Summer hotness that is Catholic Women Rejoice featuring Jennifer Fulwiler of Conversion Diary + the Edel Gathering, Catholic Evangelist Kelly Wahlquist, and yours truly. Seriously – this is a no-brainer, West Coast ladies (and Idaho/Nevada/Montana gals, too!). For less than the cost of dinner and a movie, you will enjoy a FABULOUSLY refreshing and inspiring time with other Catholic women. And I hear Edel is on hiatus 2016, so if you want to get your party on with Jen, register today. Seriously. You will thank me. I promise.
3. Lots of interesting things happening around the web these days. Here’s the best article on the web right now (IMHO) about the Caitlyn/Bruce Jenner situation. Written by Jenny Uebbing, it’s compassionate, smart, and 100% Catholic. Read on, friend. Oh, and speaking of brilliant, this week Simcha Fisher reminded me (yet again) why I love reading her articles with this piece at the National Catholic Register about why Church teaching will not – indeed, cannot – change. “Humanae Vitae. BOOM,” she writes. Boomshakalaka. The other thing you need to know about is the #WhyIRemainCatholic project … please check it out and participate when you can. I really, really want to. I am trying to come up with all the words right now.
4. I know this is, like, light years away in internet time, but I just recorded my first Building Bridges podcast with the unstoppably amazing Jenna Guizar (Blessed is She Guru, all around Queen of Awesome) and the indefatigable sassafrass Cristina Trinidad (Faithfully Social, etc. etc.). They were a blast to chat with, and I look forward to when my episode airs … in 2017. Just kidding. July 20, 2015.
5. What else have I been up to? Oh – my latest article on Keeping the Spirit of the Visitation Alive was over at CatholicMom.com (check), RealCatholicMom was fabulously featured over at Catholic Sistas (check), I submitted my first article for Ignitum Today (not published yet, but check), I submitted my first for New Evangelizers (also not published yet, but check), and am working on my first article for LovesChoice.com (an adoption site), and my second article for Catholic365 (here’s my first). And I haven’t even mentioned the other podcast I need to submit to – STAT! before they “unannounce” my affiliation (gak!) – and the 5,000 words that are due at the end of the month … Woof. like I said: summer’s almost here, and the living is BIZZZZZY.
7. And now, without further ado, the cutest picture I took this week. Where we live, spring can be confusing. It was 88 degrees this day, but the next it was in the high 50s and rainy. Some may call my son silly – I call him a prudent prophet.
Linking up with the super cool Kelly at This Ain’t the Lyceum. I would challenge her to a dance-off, but I’d totally lose.
It’s been so long since I linked up with Seven Quick Takes that Jen’s not even hosting the party any more! But no worries. Jen’s spirit lives on. And Kelly is awesome. I saw her literally drop a mic last summer and not bat an eyelash. Lady has skillz.
But I digress.
Please, be my guest and follow me down the rabbit hole for just a moment …
No, no, no – it’s not a baby. C’mon guys. LOOK!!!
I am totally freaking out!!! It is going to be fan-FREAKING-tastic awesomeness. And that’s just the beginning.